Sunday, January 11, 2009

Final blog.

This is it... The last blog in Holland.. There just really are no words right now. And certainly no words which I haven't written already... Maybe I should steal a page from Rachael.. And do a list blog... Here are some things I will miss and that I will always be grateful to have experienced...

1. Thijs, Jet and Martine. My list must start with them. They have made my experience... I love them all so much.. And leaving them hurts like leaving family.. And knowing you aren't ever coming back. I mean yes I know I will see them again.. one day... But not anytime soon... And it will never ever be the same again... I really love them all so much!

2. The bike... I love riding the bike.. Even when it's winding and I genuinely am hating my life.. I really do love it! It's so nice to get out and fill your lungs with fresh air!

3. Speaking Dutch... Not that I actually speak it.. But I am pretty freaking great for one year and no lessons! I love it! It's nice to speak it now and second nature.. And when I go home.. I know.. I will drive my family and everyone crazy with it! At first they will think its funny and cool.. But after a while... they will hate it! And I will have to stop.. I will begin to forget it.. And one day I will only know Thank you and... I dunno.. NO. That's just a sad thought!

4. Dutch food! Frinkfadels, Kroukets, frites, frite sauce, shoarama, worst, stampot, hagel slag, pasta (nutella), crispy M&M's, Spa water, and all the other things I enjoy so much.. That just taste Dutch.. I really hated it at first.. or rather.. was annoyed that no matter what I made.. It tended to taste Dutch.. But now.. I am accustom to it and enjoy it! I will miss it...

5. Knuffels!!!! Kissje's!!!! I love the sweet little kisses Thijs gives me when we say goodnight... And the crazy 4 year old boy kisses he gives me when I pick him up from Margot's! And the Hugs he gives me and he wraps his little arms all the way around my neck! Or as tightly as he can around my stomach! I love the little Spankje kisses Jet gives me at night when she has her pacifier in already... And the runny nose kisses I got for months on end! And when I'm cooking dinner she likes to come up and kiss and hug my legs.. Just to let me know she's there... I love them all!!!! Every single one I've gotten! I also love the Dikke Knuffle and Kiss from Thijs that knock me over onto the floor!

6. Public Transport! I love the buses and trains and trams and everything out here! It's so easy and earth friendly! I love taking the train to where ever I want to go! It's nice and easy and I get to listen to my music and read!

7. Teaching Thijs and Jet.. whether its English or how to say please instead of telling me to just do it! I love teaching them... It's so nice when I tell Thijs something.. And one day.. weeks later.. He will remember it and repeat it! I love it!

8. The Beatles... Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds!!! I have loved sharing, as best I can, music that the kids Dad listened to. I mean I dunno... Maybe that wasn't his favorite band.. But they liked it.. He had the CD's... So even though I didn't know Philip... I tried to share a little bit of their Dad.. and I suppose me.. with Thijs and Jet... I really hope they can always keep that with them... I know I will...

9. Dutch People! I LOVE the Dutch! At least the Dutch I know! I haven't met too many I didn't like... Sorry don't think I'm prejudice.. But whatever.. maybe I am.. I did meet Moroccans an Dutch I didn't like.. but Dutch? Love them! I do feel sorry for the Au Pairs I know who worked in the Gooi.. that's like the hoighty toighty part of Holland... Those ladies I think.. aren't the best example of Dutch people... I'm so glad that I got to live out here with Martine and not live with the stuck up bunch! Dutch people.. are very hospitable people! Always invite you in for a cup of coffee! They also are pretty straight forward tell yah like it is people! I like that! That's the kind of people I like.. That's how I try to be! There's also this certain level of laid backness that really suits me! Also! They are smart people! Speaking English, French, German and that's just the 3 main ones that people speak! It's really awesome! Yeah! I just love the Dutch!

10. All the wonderful people I've met... All of Martines family is so wonderful to me! And I dunno.. I just really love them all! Her parents are so great! I hope they will come see me in Utah soon! Lise.. I mean.. She is just such a wonderful person.. very open and honest.. And she just has a beautiful spirit! Myriam and Nils and family! They have been really so wonderful to me! I mean I should give Myriam her own little number... She is the one who convinced me to stay! And then sent me to meet Martine... So I mean.. I am so grateful to her!!! Plus she and Nils are such a hoot! I know they think I am over there so much to see Tess! But it's to see them I tell you!!!! ;) I really think they are wonderful people! And I will really miss them! Margot and Floor... Margot takes care of the kids and Floor is her daughter.. They are always so nice and sweet to me... Margot is always someone I can talk to.. Even though we started out with me knowing almost no Dutch and her English.. so so... We managed to make it work and get along so great! Floor is her daughter who is in college.. she always was so nice to talk to and I wish we would have hung out sometime.. Another time I suppose! Our neighbors.. So great! Sanders always helping me with that #2 on my list!!! flat tires and all! And Jeanie always lovely to talk to and so sweet! Along with her sweet daughters!!! The Jufs! The Teachers at Thijs school were always so great with Thijs and I always enjoyed bringing him so I could talk to them! Oh and I must not forget the Vorstenborsch... Even after everything.. I still love them! And I can't even regret the things I leaned with that whole thing!

11.. Watching TV with Thijs... HE is so sweet.. he loves to sit on my lap when he watched movies.. I am very comfy I think.. So he just sits right on my lap.. leans his head against my shoulder and holds my hand.... Its too sweet! Yah just wanna melt! Then I lean my head on his.. and we just sit very happy together... I will really miss that.. And everyday I think.. I hope my kids turn out this great! I hope that they are sweet and gentle.. But not mama's baby's... I want them to be just like Thijs!

12. Jetje's Laugh! She is the FUNNIEST 2 year old you will ever meet! She is always laughing.. at least when she isn't crying and being 2... And she is always trying to make us laugh! I really love it!

13. Lucky 13 is saved for Martine.. I have learned so much from her.. About everything! I mean it.. You name an area in life... I've probably learned something from her.. And I really hope that I can end up as strong and positive as her! I cannot describe how much I appreciate her! I will really miss her and the bond we have... Like she said.. We're sisters.. I just really love that woman a lot!
Yeah.. Very long blog.. but it's the last one in the Netherlands.... So it's allowed... I am so excited and horrified... and depressed and ecstatic! All at the same time!!! So! Yeah... And I swear when I get home I will bust out a thesaurus! I need another word other than Love.. But in the end.. That's the only word to describe how I truly feel.. About this whole experience.. And the people I've shared it with! Like our favorite band the Beatles say.. All You Need is Love!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sure that Dutch people will miss you crazy!!!
Nutella!!! Pasta!

rachael said...

excellent blog! you know i love lists-- but really, that was such a perfect blog!!! so perfect!

love ya becky.sue!!!

Anonymous said...

sniff sniff... I'm crying along with you... Thijs was very sad this morning and cried a lot and Jetje wanted to make sure you were gone: checked your room... yes, she's REALLY gone... : (

Tessalulale said...

Awe Martine's comment is soo sweet/sad! BTW I liked some of the gooi vrowen just fine! hehehehe GREAT BLOG BECK it makes me look soo lazy!